Sunday 16 December 2012

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2012: THE KILLERS - BATTLE BORN

#04: THE KILLERS - BATTLE BORN



This one raised a few eyebrows when I announced my list at Listen Up Manchester Towers! I’ve never been a huge fan of The Killers and to be honest, I wasn’t aware a new album was due this year. If you’d told me a year ago that this would be in my Top 10, never mind in the Top 5, I wouldn’t have believed you. Then I heard the lead single, Runaways and my attention was caught. I’ve made no secret of my passion for American Blue Collar Rock with Springsteen already featuring in this list and this track is The Killers take on Born To Run. The rest of the album follows suit as the band adopt a far rockier sound than their previous outings. The resounding theme of the album is regret, loss and what might have been as Brandon Flowers reflects on relationships gone sour and lovers growing apart. You can hear other classic influences in the later stages of the album. The bassline from Heart Of A Girl makes you want to Take A Walk On The Wild Side and From Hear On Out is pure rock & roll. This album has been my biggest surprise of 2012 and although I can’t say I’m a fan of their earlier work, if The Killers continue down this road, I’ll be keeping an eager eye out for what they do next.

Favourite TrackFrom Here On Out

No comments:

Post a Comment